Friday, August 10, 2012

Putting my foot down

Yesterday I went to the doctor's office to see about this pain in my heel that I've been having for the past couple weeks. It hurt when I stepped on it first thing in the morning, then it started to feel better as the morning moved forward. After being on my feet all day long it began to hurt again. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. Basically, that's the inflammation of the tissue that runs from your toes to your heel, forming the arch of your foot. The pain, however, is only felt in the heel.  I was given a steroid shot in my heel for the pain. Talk about painful! Doc gave me a numbing shot at first and I couldn't help but say a few choice words when that needle went in. He told me that the steroid needle was much bigger, so i decided to go ahead and thank him for the numbing shot. I believe that the shot was the most painful injection I've ever received in my life. I've had tattoos that took an hour to apply, IVs inserted into both hands at the same time while in an ambulance, and many other immunizations - those never came close on the pain scale to this one small litocaine shot!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/

Today's "Grandma Journal" question:

Tell about a childhood illness that you remember.

I was about 6 or 7 years old and visiting my grandmother in Illinois one summer when I came down with a virus of some sort. I don't remember being nauseated or anything like that, but I remember being so sick that I began to run a very high fever. My fever began to sore higher than 104 degrees. We were miles away from a hospital, so my parents and grandparents did the first thing they could think of to lower my temperature before it got too high and caused brain damage (apparently it worked too!). They put me into the bathtub filled with cold water and ice. I remember screaming because it was so cold. I didn't like it at all! They held me down in the water as long as they could, then left me wet to keep my body cool - returning me to the bed.  I was shivering from the fever and the cold and in my young mind felt worse than I did before. I'm sure my fever must have broken because I don't remember going to a doctor for that illness, but I will never forget that bath! It must be why I refuse to take cold showers when I'm hot or why I refuse to go swimming in a pool that isn't heated. I hate cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment