Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eggsellant!

Several years ago my gall bladder was removed. After that, eggs decided that they didn't like me anymore. I was unable to eat eggs that weren't processed. By processed, I mean, that weren't cooked in cakes or cookies. Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, and even egg salad sandwiches all required a full weekend of staying at home and near a potty because they would come back to bite me in the ass - literally! That all changed when I began eating my first home grown eggs a few weeks ago. For some reason, my body can tolerate the eggs that come from my beloved pets and they don't effect me in any bad way what-so-ever. I can now eat scrambled eggs for breakfast, fried egg sandwiches for dinner, and one of my favorites - deviled eggs - as a snack! My assumption is that it has something to do with the diet that the chickens are on. They get normal chicken feed, but also have a diet rich in greens, scraps, and bugs! yummy. I think. At least the eggs are yummy!

My first double yolker!
Num Num

This brings me to my next "Grandma Journal" entry

Are you allergic to anything?

I am allergic to several things. I used to think I might be allergic to eggs after the surgery, but we have now determined that that isn't the case! Yay!  I am, however, allergic to morphine and codeine - along with all their cousins. I'm also allergic to tomato plants, but if I wash off good after I've harvest, then I am good. It's only when the acids from the plants don't get washed off do I get hives.  I have general seasonal allergies, but am not sure which weed causes that - ragweed or something. Mosquitoes love me and I'm allergic to their stings as well - at least every sting I get swells up into a horribly itchy sore. 

My biggest allergy is to bees.  When I was younger, I stepped on a bee. It stung me on the padding of my foot right under my right little toe. My foot and ankle swelled up so large that I couldn't even fit into my father's slipper. It felt like I was walking on a watermelon for days. I was told that I was lucky it hadn't stunk me any higher and that my mother was able to get out the stinger - otherwise I might have a problem breathing. I've never been stung since that one time and I don't ever plan on it! I'm afraid of what a hornet or a wasp sting might be like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment